What is a section 21 or relationship property agreement

Relationship Property – Contracting Out Agreements.

Relationship property agreements are also known as “section 21 agreements”, “contracting out agreements”, “pre-nups” and “post-nups

Increasingly New Zealanders are becoming more alert to the implications of the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 (“the Act”) and are seeking legal advice from their lawyers about the preservation of their hard-earned property.

Subject to limited exceptions, relationship property includes the family home and all income and assets acquired by either party after the marriage or defacto relationship began.

Who can enter into an agreement?

Section 21 of the Act enables a husband and wife, civil union partners, de facto partners, or two persons in contemplation of entering into a marriage, civil union or de facto relationship to contract out of the provisions of the Act.

For more information on this topic please contact a lawyer at Quay Law.