Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007 – Lawyers

Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007 – Lawyers

From 4 May 2009, if you lodge an application with Immigration New Zealand and you are using an unlicensed onshore adviser, INZ will refuse to accept your application.

Who needs a licence?

The Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007 requires that anyone providing immigration advice has to be licensed, unless exempt.


A person is exempt if they are a lawyer who holds a current practising certificate as a barrister or as a barrister and solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand.

As a result, lawyers do not require a license to provide immigration advice.

For more information regarding your immigration matters, please contact Ian Mellett at Auckland Law Firm, Quay Law.

Whilst this blog update relates to general news regarding New Zealand Immigration, please connect with us on Facebook for regular updates and FREE legal tips.  Legal tips are provided by the Auckland Lawyers and Conveyancing specialists at Quay Law NZ. These legal tips cover a range of legal topics and cover all legal matters from estate planning, to wills and estate administration, tax and IRD matters, residential and commercial conveyancing and property law, family media law, leasehold properties, commercial leasing and much more. Although situated in the Auckland suburb of Remuera we are able to support overseas clients and across offer our services New Zealand wide.